Sunday 2 December 2012

Aggressive Love



Armanno's social skills quickly became an issue. Which wasn't a huge problem he was a 16 month old boy he just needed to be taught how to appropriately approach other's without scaring them off. He had a funny habit of running for other kids and clamping on, not great for making friends! 

I started by just stopping him before he made contact with the other kids and showed him that he could just wave and say hi, easy solution! Apparently not, waving and saying hi wasn't half as exciting! As time went on we practiced and practiced with no headway. Was I not socializing him enough? Was he not spending enough time around kids his age? Why was it that other kids could refrain from tackling each other? They must have more interactions than Armanno, that's all we'll just keep working on it!

We worked on it and worked on it with no advances! Eventually I was that mom following her child around the playground non-stop! I'm sure I was labeled the "over protective mom". What the other parents probably didn't realize was the fact that I was actually protecting their child from "aggressive love". It was constant reminders, "Armanno hands to yourself". 

He became quicker and would sneak in a hug or a hand in the face whenever I turned my back! Anytime I heard another child scream or cry I would quickly get into prying mode, 9 times out of 10 I would be prying Armanno off of that screaming child!
Not too long after, we found out out we were pregnant with our second, Armanno was 18months by this time and we were so excited that he was going to be a big brother but we had a lot of work a head to prepare him. We had lots of time, the baby wasn't  due to arrive until 2 months after Armanno's 2nd birthday! By then he would be well past this "aggressive love", so we thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment