Friday 30 November 2012

The Realization

On July 31st, 2009 my husband Julianno and I welcomed our first son Armanno into the world! He had a rough entry with a forcept delivery after a failed vaccume, due to his heart rate dropping so low. The doctor's immediately wisked him away to the other side of the room to be looked over, a couple of black eyes but the doctor's deemed him healthy,  he was a beautiful 8lb 11oz baby boy! We were over the moon with joy, which made the following 30 hrs of no sleep worth it ;p We spent 7 days in the hospital lots of blood work and U.V. lights for his Jaundice and off we went back home to start our new life!

The next 6 months would prove to be one of the most difficult and rewarding jobs I had experienced up until that point. Armanno was only happy if he was being held or entertained, I did not put him down for the first 5 months of his life. Laundry was piling up house work was not getting done and I found my self crying with exhaustion! Finally at 6 months I let Armanno "cry it out" something I was so dead set against. On the advice of my doctor I did it although I cried during the process and felt horrible, it was the best thing I did for both Armanno and me:) Armanno starting taking regular naps and sleeping through the night with only one feeding! Life was looking up, Armanno seemed happier which made me happy!

I started going to baby groups and meeting new mom's, while the baby's lay on the floor cooing and drooling the other mom's and I would talk about our drastic life change into motherhood. Lot's of great stories and good conversations not to mention some great laughs. I would continue these play groups all throughout Armanno's first few years and I still have him in other's to this day. It was through these playgroups, watching how all the other kids interacted which made me realize at a very young age that Armanno was a bit different. I wasn't quite sure why Armanno acted different than all the other children. I spent the next 2 yrs with that taunting question in the back of my head until I finally was done with the questioning and took it upon myself to find the answers which lead to his diagnosis.

2 comments:

  1. Your post brings back memories for me. It was tough when my son was young and had issues, but at that time, we didn't know what to do. But now things are better than before and we keep working at things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, blogging has never crossed my mind until my friend started doing it! Then a lightbulb went off in my head, I could blog about raising a kid with aspergers. It would be a great way for other parents to relate and share in our journey. Once I started I realized how many parents are already doing this haha. It is a great resource and I love hearing other people's stories, there is always something to learn from other's, glad I can be a part of it:)

      Delete